Tuesday, June 19, 2007

FINALLY, A BILLBOARD I CAN LOVE!



by Rose Marie Weekly
The Monthly Columnist
WMON

As I was wending my way to church in my new Go-Go boots Father's Day morning, relishing the savory berries I plucked from a wild boysenberry bush, still fresh with morning dew, I was thinking of something that Robert Frost had written as a prologue to his 1914 collection of poems, North of Boston, because he writes all about things like blueberries and apples and cottages.

THE PASTURE

I'm going out to clean the pasture spring;
I'll only stop to rake the leaves away
(And wait to watch the water clear, I may):
I sha'n't be gone long. -- You come too.

I'm going out to fetch the little calf
That's standing by the mother. It's so young,
It totters when she licks it with her tongue.
I sha'n't be gone long. -- You come too.

It's Frost's invitation to join him in his personal adventures with nature and the characters he meets along the way. I imagined were Frost alive today, he'd probably be a huge Al Gore supporter. So I decided to think of something else.

Like where I was going to put my bags that I carry around for when I go shopping so I can save the planet and feel good about myself and tell everyone how good I feel so they can all feel good and we can all just feel good about ourselves -- and how I could hew the next tiniest-little incident that happened to me into a partisan affair of epoch proportion.

I wonder if berries lean left or right. Oh, but that's besides the point.

So where was I? Bags? I 've got 'em all. Plastic bags. Canvas totes. My pursed lips also come in handy at times, too.

I looked to the heavens for inspiration and that's when I saw it: A huge billboard for WDVE showing Jim and Randy using the toilet. And I thought, what a great place to hang my bags!


No comments: